Thank you for a spectacular Tree Planting Day!
Over 120 volunteers showed up to lend a hand at our Plants for Birds wetland restoration at Oakledge Park this weekend.
A special thank-you to our partner, Burlington Parks, Recreation & Waterfront for your expertise, enthusiasm, and people-power. Looking forward to more Plants for Birds project together.
Thank you to:
• Intervale Conservation Nursery - For growing native, locally sourced trees and shrubs for our bird-friendly Wetland Restoration planting.
• City Market - For offering member-worker credit hours for volunteers at the Tree Planting.
• King Street Center - For inviting families and mentors to join us.
• Champlain Elementary PTO - For helping us spread the word.
• Burlington High School National Honor Society students - For lending a hand.
• The Intervale Center for sharing our event with their members.
• Burlington High School- For offering BHS students Community Service Hour credit for volunteering
• UVM Master Gardener Program - For providing members to offer education on proper planting technique and the importance of using native plant species for birds, pollinators and other wildlife.
• Branch Out Burlington for mobilizing tree-planting expert volunteers.
• SOB Kickball - For providing people-power.
Lisa Lillibridge captured the beautiful, blue-sky day with these stunning photographs! Thank you so much!
Ira Shadis captured video of the Tree Planting Day: https://flic.kr/p/27qQBc2
Thank to our Special Guests for joining us to plant trees:
• Burlington City Councilor Ali Dieng
• Burlington Mayor’s Chief of Staff, Jordan Redell
• Burlington Park Commissioner Nancy Kaplan
• Burlington Parks, Recreation, and Waterfront Director Cindi Wight
Native Tree Species planted:
• Black Willow
• Red Maple
• Grey Birch
Native Shrub Species planted:
• Silky Dogwood
• Red Osier Dogwood
• Shrub Willow
• Highbush Cranberry
• Arrowwood Viburnum